Sunday, December 9, 2012

Worth the Move

As much as I miss my North Carolina friends, this weekend convinced me that this move really was the best thing for our family. And not because I got to see two famous people. Although that was really cool.

Saturday morning I woke up at 5:30 AM to go to Nathan's Saturday Morning Meeting with him. Ashlee went with us too, but everyone else opted to sleep in. They do this once a month and the CEO and all the top execs report on what their teams are doing. It's a mandatory meeting for all the associates, but I don't think anyone minds.

This was an eye opener to me! 6 1/2 years at the bank and I was never invited to any event my husband attended. Never. Not even a team Christmas party.

The work environment at Walmart is completely the opposite. Families are invited to these monthly meetings and they have other family events regularly (ex. employees left work at 2 pm on Halloween to go home and get their children for a huge trick or treat party at the home office).

OMGoodness! These people are all so normal, down to earth, and FUN. The CEO and all the other execs that got up to report on things were a hoot. They joked and teased each other. It really felt like a fun family planning activity (they do happen!) Associates got up to perform as a kick-off to a Walmart's Got Talent search. And they were great!

Nick Cannon came to MC the Talent search segment, and at the end of the meeting Jordin Sparks sang some songs. It was really cool! They were both such normal, relaxed, and fun people to listen to.


All in all, being there and feeling the excitement in the room was wonderful. I felt like I was a part of it even though I don't work for Walmart. It was good to see why Nathan is so much happier than before. These people like to have fun and take everyone with them.

This really is going to have a positive impact on our family.

1 comment:

Kiyomi said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you! What a positive move for your family!