Friday, July 11, 2008

The Week after the 4th

Ok, check out my yummy French toast from this morning. On Wednesday I made homemade french bread and when I rolled out one of them I sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on it. For those who have never made french bread, you make the dough and then you roll it out into a rectangle, roll it back up and then "score" the top. The first time I made it I didn't roll it out, because I thought it sounded like a waste of time. It's not! It makes the bread so much lighter and softer. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to make real french toast with one of the loaves. It was super yummy! I couldn't eat all three pieces because it was so filling!
Last week, my friend Laura gave me this huge zucchini from her garden. The smaller one is a normal size large zucchini. How many loaves of zucchini bread do you think I got out of it? Four, plus a batch of 12 muffins, and I threw away enough for a fifth batch because I had run out of flour! Now that is a ZUCCHINI!
On Monday we had some friends over for the day, and in order to try and keep them quiet so Cole could sleep, we pulled out the paints. The kids were all on the trampoline, but they trickled in until everyone got to paint a few pages.


4 comments:

edith said...

Ah, Zucchini bread! My kids and I love it too much. Do you ever find it has a bitter aftertaste? Most people don't but I did until I learned a trick from a food blogger a year or two ago. I won't burden you with it if you aren't plagued by hypersensitive aftertaste.
That French toast sure looks good.

Jenny said...

I want the recipe for the french toast! That looks Yummy!!!

Charity said...

I've never noticed an aftertaste, but I would still like to know the secret.

Jenny, do you have the set for life cookbook? It is the french bread recipe in there, but I use all white flour. It is easy and really yummy.

edith said...

Here is the secret: Before you grate your zucchini, rub the outside with salt. Yeah, that's all. It helps if your hand and the zucchini are wet, which they are if you just rinsed them, then get a small handful of salt and just rub it around a little while. I got this tip from a Japanese woman's blog. I was searching for the why on the aftertaste and she was the only one out there who seemed to know what I was talking about. So, like I said, I'm burdened by hypersensitive aftertaste. That's why we don't use artificial sweeteners at the Songer House.