Tuesday, July 15, 2008

One of those weeks

Ok, I know I will laugh about this soon. Maybe tomorrow. I ran upstairs to use the rest room, yes, Moms have to do that sometime. When I came back down, I found that Cole was doing the dishes...straight out of the cabinets. I never realized how slippery Cascade is. It also took forever to rinse off.
In May, Nathan and I finally bought a nice ceiling fan for our living room. In June, Ashlee and Adam broke it during a pillow fight. We ordered a new globe which arrived last Friday. On Sunday, Kiah broke it throwing a stuffed animal at her dad. Yep, one of those weeks.
Since it is one of those weeks, I want to share with you something my good friend Edith wrote a week ago. She puts motherhood into words I think we can all relate to.


Listening in Church

"Sometimes I get so frazzled sitting through Sacrament Meeting with all five of our kids. It's not really sitting; it's getting up and down with a screaming or stinky baby, leaning sideways to break up an escalating argument between kids old enough to know better, or bending myself in half forwards to recapture dropped crackers, papers, shoes, pacifiers, ad nauseam. (Really, I sometimes start to feel a little dizzy. It's more exercise than I get all the rest of the week.)And, inevitably, I start to wonder if any of us are getting anything out of it.

But I realized something must be getting through to my three-year-old daughter the other day. She's been going through a stage lately where she is constantly noisy. She bangs thing, taps on things, but mostly just makes mouth noises all day long. Some of it is in English, but mostly it's just noise. But during a piano solo of "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" she sang along (to her own tune and before I could shush her), these words, "I got it open myself. Oh! My fruit snacks!" And then I had to bend forward to help her pick them up. "

2 comments:

Amy & the boys said...

I needed this post today. :)

Charity said...

Glad I could help. I hope Edith doesn't mind my sharing, but I totally relate to her post as well. I guess we all have those days and weeks. Luckily, I've had lots of women whose children are gone tell me how much they miss these days. That helps a little.