Saturday, April 5, 2008

Cooper River Bridge 10K

This is the Ravenel Bridge over the Cooper River in Charleston, SC. This is the 3rd bridge in the last 31 years of the Cooper River Bridge 10k. Nathan and I drove down on Friday (my mom came to watch the kids) and then we ran in the race this morning. It was amazing! 10k is 6.4 miles. Most of it was flat, but about 1 1/2 of it was going up the bridge (it looks flat here, but its not!), then the rest was down and flat again. It was a great race. Nathan and I both did it without stopping to walk. We are both super proud of ourselves.
This is the starting line. Can you see how far back it goes?! There were almost 50,000 people running in this race! It was so crazy. We walked for about 7 minutes before we even got to the starting line, and then there were so many people that it was hard to start running. We had to keep weaving in and out of people.

We took some pictures of us on our cell phones, but I haven't figured out how to convert them yet. I'll work on that on Monday and hopefully get those posted then. Now I just want to sleep. Did I mention that we got up at 4:30am to catch the shuttle from the hotel to the start line!? Our hotel was on the finish line side and we had to get across the bridge before they closed it for the race. I think we really have lost our minds, cause we've decided that we want to do this race every year! Make plans to join us.

You can watch a short video with pictures from last year's race at this website: http://www.thevisitorsnetwork.com/popup.php?mode=tvn&id=67 Check it out soon, since I don't know how long it will be up now that the race is over.

1 comment:

Amy & the boys said...

Wow- I enlarged that picture of the starting line. You really can see people as far back as possible. That's incredible. What a great hobby!