Sunday, November 7, 2010

It's Nano Time Again

Which means so many things. For the first time this year I'm wondering if it's worth it. I love it, don't get me wrong, but this year something is different. I'm not feeling any story well enough to just write like crazy. I even plotted the whole book out. So I'm wondering if I boxed up my muse by planning. There's no excitement to write because I already know what happens.

I guess that's what happens when a pantser decides to plot. (For definitions on what that means check out this blog post.) So, one week in and I'm 6,000 words behind on my word count with the measly 5400 I've pulled out.

Granted, I'm trying to actually do my part on the Community Nativity Festival planning committee this year. Which takes place on Dec 2-4th. I'm also trying to help my mom create and write a cooking curiculum for homeschool students. Deadline for that? November 11th. Yeah, 4 days to go and I have 3 standards still to come up with lesson plans for. And there's seminary (which I also LOVE).

That's enough to make my head explode, but my biggest concern is my family. I'm so tired and agitated all the time that I'm creating an angry vortex that is swirling through my home. Is it worth it? Right now I'm thinking no.

And, and...I want to work on revisions. There I said what's really eating me. I have a critique partner that has given me some very definite things to work on. Plus, I received word back from one of the small publishing companies with some feedback. It was a no, and I'm fine with that. She said the story felt rushed (Becky I believe you said the same thing), and I agree. So now my mind is working on ways to slow it down (just a bit, not too much) and expand my world building. It's hard to think of new story when your head is still in the old one.

In other news, I have two short stories out for submission to paying magazines. It could be months before I hear an answer. Until then I think I'm going to work on a few more shorts. That's about all my brain can handle right now. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Lanna said...

Wow, and I thought I was busy. You've got me beat by a long shot. If your mind is still on Sendek, could you use this year's NaNo to write that story from a different character's viewpoint (a la Ender's Shadow)? Sure, it means starting over on your word count, but you already know what happens with Sendek. And, by doing this exercise, you may learn something more about that story and figure out how to "slow it down" in the process. Just an idea. Good luck!