Thursday, December 10, 2009

School Holiday Program

It is late, I'm tired and I have a headache so I know I will not be able to find the right words to express my disappointment. Tonight we went to the school to watch Ashlee sing in the 5th grade chorus concert. The kids were great, but the little holiday skits were a big let down. The idea was a good one, but the whole thing was so overly politically correct that I was sick.

The idea: Three friends are talking about their plans for the holiday season. One celebrates Kwanzaa, one Hanukkah, and one Christmas. The children describe what the holiday celebrates to their friends in an effort to help them understand and appreciate the tradition.

The delivery: Short. Since I don't know a lot about the other holidays I don't know how much they left out, but they mentioned the basics that I already knew. Christmas however left me brooding. They talked about Christmas being a time to give gifts and be with family. All good and true, but not one mention of the Savior's birth. Yeah, I know it is the public school and you can't talk religion, blah blah blah. Hello?!

It is just sad that in an effort not to offend anyone we can no longer publicly express our most precious beliefs.

1 comment:

Kristen S said...

That's really sad that there was no mention of Christ. Isn't that what we are celebrating, His birth??