Monday, November 16, 2009

What I did today...

I have this crawl space that I have intentionally pretended did not exist. It is one side of the bonus room (which is now the boys bedroom) and it is the black hole of our house. Whenever someone cleans and they come across something that they don't know where it goes, they open the door and toss it in. Yes, toss it in. They don't put it in there in an organized manner, they TOSS stuff in and hope that no one will ever need to look for it. Perhaps every house needs a black hole, but this hole happened to contain all of my fabric and sewing equipment. I haven't sewn anything in a long time and this is why.Would you go in there to find your sewing machine or the fabric you wanted for a project? Me either. Well, I decided that I needed to grow up and face my fears. It was time to brave the black hole and whatever might be living in there and find my hobbies again.
Look how roomy it is empty! I swept it out really good because everything was covered in dirt and debris from the roofers banging all over everything earlier this year. I was glad that I only found 1 spider in all that mess, and no mouse droppings.I moved everything out into the boys room (which was already a horrible mess) and started sorting. I got rid of a lot of stuff. I figured if no one needed it over the last three years we didn't need to keep it. I also found 3 boxes of old school work left by the previous owner of our house. Three large boxes of papers. I dumped all the paper in the recycle bin, which unfortunately had already been emptied for the day, and kept the binders which were in nice shape. I also reused the plastic totes they were in for my stuff. Doesn't that look nice? Now when Adam gets home from school I just have to stand and tell them how to clean their room. If I don't it all gets shoved under a bed or thrown into the black hole...wait, we no longer have a black hole. What will they do now? Perhaps they can finally learn where their dirty clothes and trash really belong. Here's to hoping.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

looks great! i love days like these.. you sit back and think look what i did!! Yep i am pretty much amazing;) of course you are!

Jenny said...

Amen Lu!! Looks great!!

flori said...

Wow!! Do you hire yourself out to clean other people's closets without mercy?

Anonymous said...

I have always thought is would be a cool job to be a professional organizer and help people get all organized.