Sunday, April 5, 2009

Conference Doughnuts--April 2009

Here is the latest installment of General Conference Doughnuts. Somehow this became a tradition when we lived in Utah shortly after they opened the first Krispy Kreme in Orem/Provo. Nathan would get up super early on Saturday morning and take the girls to stand in line and get enough doughnuts for Saturday and Sunday breakfast.

More recently in our family history, Nathan has decided to make them home made. After a few sad recipes, we finally found one that we liked last year. Nathan got up this morning and began the four hour process to make our yummy doughnuts. The kids helped make some and then we dipped them in chocolate and ate to our hearts content.

One batch did do something funny in the oven while rising and after frying them they looked more like fritters than dougnuts (he wouldn't let me take a picture). Nathan was so disappointed that he declared that next Conference we will return to buying our doughnuts. I thought the fritters were even better than the doughnuts because they had crispy edges. Mmmm....

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

look yummy to me!

Meghan said...

I love crispy edge stuff!

Sarah Ragatz said...

Before I read the post, I looked at the picture and I thought "those look like Krispy Kremes...umm"

edith said...

"Hmmm, doughnuts. Is there anything they can't do?"--Homer Simpson
Even though I have only watched The Simpsons about 10 times in my life, I find that I have a wide assortment of one liners from them that fit well in many situations.
That's a very nice tradition you have there, especially the part about Nathan cooking it. Hope you got to sleep in.

Laura D said...

That would be a great treat to share with friends! I think he did great. I would have eaten them!

Kristen S said...

Looks good to me, I love crispy edges! But 4 hours seems like way to much effort...