Thursday, January 29, 2009

Our First Stitches

As soon as Cole could walk I knew that he would be our child to really test us. He is just all boy and very active. I remember standing in the cul de sac talking with neighbors and they all felt like he would be the one to break a limb before any of his siblings. Well, luckily we haven't had to go through that yet, but tonight we had to take him to Urgent Care to get 4 stitches in his forehead. Cole was playing and running around and fell into the corner of the piano bench...hard. I've never been so scared in my life and he was so sad. A wonderful neighbor came and stayed with the other kids while we took him to a doctor.

By the time we arrived at the doctor, the bleeding at stopped and Cole was having a good time playing with Lightning McQueen. We were starting to feel silly for taking him, but it was a deep cut and we figured it is better to be safe than sorry. When it was finally our turn, they wrapped him in a sheet and then strapped him in this thing to keep him still. He was a trooper until the doctor actually started to stitch him. The he screamed and screamed and it was really hard to watch. Cole is now sleeping well and showing no signs of the trauma we went through.
All happy now and ready for bed.

8 comments:

Meghan said...

Oh heavens Charity! I bet you were so scared. That little mummy wrap is horrible, but I understand why they did it. It's hard to see your children get hurt and go through pain. Hope it sleeps well!

Jenny said...

I am SOOOOOOOOO sorry. When they did that to Kennedy in the ER when she was a toddler I had to leave the room and I cried. I couldn't handle it! I know how horrible that is to hear them scream and you can't do a darn thing! I feel so bad for both of you...bless his heart.

nb said...

I would like to add--Charity is also sleeping and not showing any signs of trauma :)

Alison B said...

that is horrible!!! Oh, poor little boy, but i'm sure that was hard for you. How they wrapped him up looks so sad. I understand why they did, but still...you are a trooper.

Jeremy and Leah said...

I would have been crying more than him before than they even started because of how he looks strapped down and knowing I couldn't save him from the pain. Ahh... the joys of parenthood.

edith said...

yikes!
Anika split her head open when she was three and by the time the doctor was ready to see us, she was chattering away and completely over it. But she still had to have stitches.

Charity said...

I was sleeping well because I was emotionally exhausted! I was mostly ok until I lay down and then all of the things that "could" have happened ran through my mind and the only way I could deal with it was say a prayer of thankfulness and stop thinking about it.

Laura D said...

Don't tell anyone but Jared still screams like he is going to die! I am glad it was only four stitches.