Thursday, October 2, 2008

Sisterhood

I wanted to post this earlier, but just didn't get a chance til now. On Saturday evening I was able to enjoy a wonderful evening with some great women. Once a year, the general presidency for the women's organization at my church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints , have a special broadcast. There are always wonderful words of encouragement and counsel that always lift my spirits and renew my desire to be a better mom, wife, daughter, sister, person. This year was no different, and I want to share with you what I wrote as I listened to these amazing women.

"I love sitting in Relief Society (our women's group) and looking around the room at all these beautiful women that I get to call sisters. My sisters are far away and I miss them, but I still get to participate in that relationship with the women at church. We get to be silly together and laugh till our sides hurt and our cheeks ache. We cry together and hold each other when we need to borrow the strength we do not have. When I am weak, sad, lonely, frustrated, I know there is a sister who understands what I feel. I need never feel alone.

One day after a lesson on sisterhood, I stood to bear my testimony. I was overcome with the feeling of love from our Father in heaven. There were sisters that I didn't know, but I felt very strongly how much our Heavenly Father loved them. He knows every name, every heart. We all look different. Some may be considered prettier or shapelier in the eyes of the world, but to God each is a beautiful spirit daughter with infinite worth and value.

Sisterhood means acceptance, love, lifting, sharing laughter, tears, forgiveness, and strength because you never have to stand alone. It also means pushing, encouraging, and motivating with love when it is needed. It is seeing strength in others that you want to emulate. "It is seeing the image of God in your countenances, the light of Christ in your eyes." Barbara Thompson, 2nd Councilor.

I feel very blessed to be a part of such a great organization that strives to lift and encourage women to be all that heaven wants them to be.

Perhaps the most memorable talk of the evening was given by President Dieter F Uchtdorf. You can read it Here . It was amazing! His topic was, "Our birthright—and the purpose of our great voyage on this earth—is to seek and experience eternal happiness." It is one of those things you just have to read for yourself because to much would be lost in the summarizing. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Ellenamo said...

I really enjoyed the broadcast as well. On of my favorite things President Uchtdorf said was "As spirit daughters of our Heavenly Father, happiness is your heritage." I've been struggling to find joy in simple things lately, so that kind of hit home for me.

Laura D said...

It is wonderful to belong to our group of sisters. And to hear from leaders who love us and have prepared to speak to us!