Saturday, May 31, 2008

Wisdom Teeth?

Ok, so I've put off having my wisdom teeth out for quite a while. Dr. Olsen finally convinced me it was time to say good bye to them because they were starting to cause bone damage. I went in yesterday morning and had 3 of them removed. The 4th was completely sideways and would have been VERY hard to get out. Luckily it is not pressing on the bone or any other teeth, so we opted to leave it alone. My two top teeth were hard to get out and one of them had to be "moved" before it could be pulled out. Luckily the last tooth came out in about a minute. I wish they had all been so easy.



Dr. Olsen was great and I did not feel any pain during the procedure. I did however wake up this morning looking like a chipmunk. You know it is bad when your husband says, "wow" :) I've been putting ice on it several times a day, but I thought you might get a good laugh out of these pictures. This is well over 24 hours later. I tried to smile in one picture and it was ScaRy!

As you can see, one side is more swollen than the other one. I hope it goes down before church tomorrow. I guess when he moved the one tooth, part of the bone underneath broke. He said this is common in about 25% of the cases and it will heal itself and be just fine. So, my first broken bone and I don't get a cast! Hee hee. Dr. Olsen called this morning to check on me, which was very nice. He said they beat me up pretty bad. :)

6 comments:

Amy & the boys said...

Oh that is sad. SO sorry. I was 18 when I got mine out and I hated it. Hope the swelling goes down soon.

Kristen & Matt said...

So sorry you had to do it finally...the "deadline" to get those out is about 25 years old. After that it gets way harder to get them out. Keep putting ice on it and take ibuprofen for the swelling and pain. It will get better and will be worth it in the long run! Ouch....memories of my own extractions.

edith said...

So sorry for you! I never had wisdom teeth but I am missing other teeth, too. I have thought it might have been worth the whole operation if I could have had all my teeth and not these bridges for the rest of my life.
The grass is always greener. . .
Hope you heal up soon.

Charity said...

Thanks, how come no one told me get them out earlier? The swelling is almost gone, but I have had one huge headache since Sunday. I'm going in today to make sure I don't have dry socket. I told my kids they will all get theirs out before going to college to make it as easy as possible.

The Blacks said...

You poor thing!!! I was scared to death last summer to get one of mine out...I made them give me 'happy-gas' and then it was a WONDERFUL experience! ha! hope youre feeling better!!

Charity said...

The actual extraction wasn't bad at all. I was numb enough and also asked for the happy gas :) I could hear things that now terrify me to think about, but at the time didn't bother me. Good stuff :P

I'm getting the stitches out tomorrow and the zithromax is working on the infection so my headache only comes when my kids get home. Ha, ha!